- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 cup olive oil approx
- 1 Knob of butter
- 8 free-range eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut peeled potatoes into small, very thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a 27cm shallow frying pan until just smoking. Add a knob of butter.
- Add the potatoes to the oil and fry for 10 minutes at medium heat until they soften, stirring from time to time to ensure even cooking.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add 3 pinches of salt, and whisk lightly.
- When it starts to smoke, add egg mix, then drop the heat after 10 seconds to medium. Move the pan gently to prevent sticking and allow tortilla to form. Use a slice to unstick the bottom, make sure tortilla is loose at all times.
- After a few mins, place a plate on top of the frying pan and holding it against the pan, flip it over quickly so the tortilla flips onto the plate, then slide back into the pan to cook the other side.
- After 4 minutes, the tortilla is done. Use the plate the same way to remove the tortilla. Flip again so the nice side is up.
Tortilla de patatas can be served warm or cold, in wedges or in small squares for finger food. It is perfect when the centre is slightly runny.
Variation: Place anchovies on top of the tortilla or lightly fried chorizo can be added during cooking before the eggs go into the frying pan.
Click here to shop anchovies.